|10 sizes to choose from||Myths vs Facts||The basics of biodiesel||All kinds of useful stuff|
Biodiesel is a “Green Fuel”
Why is biodiesel considered to be a “Green Fuel”? Biodiesel is made from a renewable energy source unlike fossil diesel which is made from a finite energy source. Basically, we can grow our fuel. As long as we have sun, water and soil, we can grow crops that have a high oil content in their nuts or seeds. Typical crops are: Sunflower, Palm, Soy, Canola, Moringa, Maize, Carinata, Solaris, Jatropha and Jajoba to name a few.
Biodiesel is a Green Fuel for many other reasons too.
- It is non-hazardous, non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable
- It produces far less exhaust emissions such as CO2, CO, SO2, HC and PM
- It is environmentally friendly
- It is sustainable
- It can be made from used cooking oil (which is already a waste product)
What engines can use Biodiesel? Biodiesel can be used in ANY diesel engine, whether is may be a Car, SUV, LDV, Truck, Forklift, Tractor, Generator, Boat, Mining, Earth moving or in a Burner for heating. Wherever fossil diesel is used, biodiesel can be used.
What is Biodiesel ( bio diesel )? Biodiesel is made from a vegetable oil (pressed from nuts or seeds) or animal fat (tallow or rendered chicken fat). When biodiesel is made using methanol, it is referred to as a Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME). Methanol can be substituted with ethanol. A catalyst is used to create the chemical reaction between the oil and the methanol. A typical catalyst will be Potassium Hydroxide or Sodium Hydroxide. The by-product of biodiesel production is called Glycerol (sometimes called Glycerin), which also has many uses.
Biodiesel is a direct replacement for fossil diesel. However it can also be blended with fossil diesel in any percentage. Biodiesel is better for your engine and will extend it’s service life. Its never too late to start using biodiesel.
Biodiesel Processors. Green-Diesel manufacture biodiesel batch processors from 80 litre to 11000 litre. Designed and manufactured in Cape Town using clever engineering, our CERES range of processors combine the 3 stages of production (Processing, Washing & Drying) into a single tank with a very small footprint. When you buy a biodiesel processor from us you get:
- Good customer service from the start.
- Life time support at no extra cost
- Training – practical and theoretical
- Installation at an additional cost
- Instruction manual, Test equipment, Safety gear, Accessories
- Strategic business advice
Biodiesel Blending Systems. Green-Diesel manufacture, supply and install biodiesel blending systems to mix biodiesel and fossil diesel in the right percentage, according to customer requirements. Biodiesel can be mixed with regular diesel (500ppm, 50ppm or 10ppm) in any percentage and it can be used in Turbo charged engines. Internationally biodiesel is coded as follows: B100 – means 100% pure biodiesel (no regular diesel added) B50 – means 50% biodiesel and 50% regular diesel B20 – means 20% biodiesel and 80% regular diesel.
Used Cooking Oil Collection. Green-Diesel collects used cooking oil from Restaurants, Hotels, Fast Food Franchises, Hospitals, Ships, Military Bases, Fish Shops, Catering Companies and many more. If you need your used cooking oil collected, get in touch with us on 082 901 2047.
Advantages of Biodiesel
- It costs less than regular diesel
- It contains no or little sulphur
- It has a higher Cetane rating that improves the efficiency of compression ignition
- NO engine modifications are necessary to use biodiesel on any diesel engine
- It is non-flammable, non-hazardous, non-toxic & environmentally friendly
- It has a flash point greater than 120°C while fossil diesel is approx. 70°C
- Users can switch between biodiesel and regular diesel as they wish
- It has superior cleaning properties over all other regular diesel
- It provides much better engine lubrication than regular diesel
- It produces 75% less exhaust smoke emissions
- It produces 80% less carbon dioxide emissions
- It is made from new or used cooking oil
- It extends engine life by up to 200%
- It mixes very well with regular diesel
- It is safe to store and handle
- It is a renewable fuel
- It is a “green” fuel